View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #62
CurlyMom

Wow! What a great thread! I have learned so much and this is exactly what I've been struggling with, but just didn't really know how to say it or what was going on. This has cleared up so much for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerchicki View Post
Take it with a grain of salt, but I think the grabby vs. slippery is not so much porosity, but it's about TEXTURE. A lot of wavies, especially ones that easily get weighed down, need something that is more texturizing than detangling. Slip is just that.. it slicks the cuticle to reduce friction and the hairs slide over each other easily. Texturizing does the opposite. That's why when you go to the beach you get really cool beachy waves and lots of volume, but your hair "feels" different, the salt in the water gives texture to the hair.

I like it right in the middle. A moderate amount of slip. For every day or for a leave-in anyway.
This is exactly what's been happening to me. I get weighed down very easily so I thought I was getting overconditioned, so I'd back off of the conditioning, but then immediately my hair would get dry and frizzy with no definition.

I knew my balance was off, but I just couldn't figure out how to make it right. This "grabby" texturizing thing makes total sense to me and I guess unless you have hair that doesn't need slip, and it seems to me that more curlies need slip than don't, it really wouldn't make any sense.

Anyway, I feel like I've finally turned another corner in my curly hair journey and the mystery is slowly unraveling itself.