View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Saria

Sydney, that's great. I'd love to be able to do a CSA.
These are good as well:
www.straightfromthefarm.net
www.eggsonsunday.wordpress.com

Ninja, the corn is stupidly simple. To keep it from being too messy, you can lay the corn on the board and remove the kernels with your knife instead of standing it up. I also find that cutting it in half and then removing the kernels keeps things neater. About three ears of corn should do nicely for you.
Once you do that, hold on to the cobs. Over a bowl, run the back of your knife across the cobs to squeeze out the corn milk. Reserve this sweet, delicious wonder.
Finely dice a shallot or two. Or maybe the white part of some scallions, or the bulb of spring onion. It's up to you.
Get a bit of butter in a pan to get nice and foamy and toss in your shallot. Saute it until it's softened a bit.
Toss in the corn and some salt and cook for a couple of minutes. Then add your corn milk and just enough cream. It's to your liking, but basically it's a couple of tablespoons. Cook for a minute or so, to get the cream incorporated (it should be nicely thickened, not at all soupy). Season and add your herbs of choice. The greens from scallions or spring onions, basil, dill, tarragon, chervil, marjoram, parsley, cilantro. Pretty much any herb or combo works.
And like I said, some chilies would be nice in here, or maybe green garlic, garlic scapes. There's really nothing to it.
You will have a hard time not eating it all in about a minute.