View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #462
Saria

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcelticcurls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saria View Post
I was reminded of this reading a comment from someone who actually gets this, but it irks me so much to hear "I prefer gelato/ gelato is better than ice cream".
Gelato IS ice cream. There's no specific "gelato method" that makes it different from ice cream. Gelato can be custard-based or it can be starch-based. Yes, it often has less fat since it is made with more milk than cream, but it can have just as much. Gelato means "frozen", that's all. It's not some magical term for a completely different type of ice cream.
Here's that post, because seriously, spot-on!

There's techincally no difference in the definitions of "ice cream" vs "gelato" at all. Perhaps traditionally a gelato would be frozen quicker, resulting in less air and a denser result, but there's no official rules. "Gelato" just means a frozen dairy dessert. There's no specific "authentic" recipe for it. Small-batch ice cream that used an egg for stabilization would come out the same. Perhaps American brands are more prone to using heavy cream, whereas gelatos might use lower fat milk with egg as a stabilizer... in which case you've got "frozen custard" instead. Which could be labeled "ice cream" as well. Again, there are no rules.
I didn't know this. I swear the gelato I ate in Italy tasted nothing like the ice cream I eat in the US. Gelato tastes, to me, like something between sorbet and ice cream.
See, you having had gelato in Italy I can understand. Because I have no problem with saying something about gelato being better when it means that you had ice cream in Italy and you thought it was better than what is known as ice cream here. Europe just tends to have higher standards when it comes to things like ice cream (and yogurt, if you look at France). No high fructose corn syrup, for one.
But good ice cream is just good ice cream. And gelato is ice cream, good or bad. Calling it gelato here in the US is just a way to snazz up ice cream, because people go "ooh, gelato!"
The southern areas of Italy tend to use starch instead of eggs in their gelato because it's supposed to be more digestible in the hotter climes (so, they're somewhere between a Philadelphia style ice cream and a custard base). But gelato can be a custard-based ice cream as well. Alice Medrich actually wrote about how certain popular places in Italy disappointed her because their ice cream was too rich, and lacked clarity of flavor. So that's just it, it's just ice cream, there's no standard "gelato" formula.