Is anyone out there mixed?? I am! I am half black, half white.... It gets so annoying with my hair, because NOBODY knows how to do mixed hair, at least not that I've gone to. Most people think that because I have a darker skin tone that I have dry, coarse hair that is common for most african americans, but i dont! Yeah, its dry, but not that dry, and when people give me greasy products meant for that type of hair, it makes it feel gross! I feel like no one understands my hair, not even me! I always wear my hair half up, half down or in a ponytail, and i want to wear it in different styles, but its too difficult, frizzy, and poofy! Its so unmanageable, i need products i can use, and hairstyles for my hair! Anyone out there understand what im going through? If so, please help!
Originally Posted by MaiaCamille <3
Lol, those products don't work for most people. Or at least not well.
In my opinion the problem isn't peoples' inability to do mixed hair. It's curly hair period. Some people are so dumbfounded by the sentiment "I want to work with my curls, not straighten them". Do you live in a primarily white neighborhood? A lot of white people don't know what to do with their curly/wavy hair, so they flat iron it.
No one ever knew what to do with my hair. I don't blame them: Dad was balding, my grandmother's hair was thin and short, my godmother was and still is relaxed. So it was always in braids or ponies. Anytime it grew longer than my shoulders, it would get cut. "Too thick and nappy to be long". I won't bore you with the rest of this story. But what I'm trying to say is that knowing how to work with your hair is very practical. And fun!
Anyway, this is why coming to NC was a great idea! There's a wealth of information here that will help you take care of your own hair.
Big chop: 5/30/10
CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
Cleanser: Bentonite clay