View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
curl goddess

Ive also had this all my life. It usually is worse in the winter, and I sometimes get a flare up when the seasons change.

I use T/gel & Tsal. It used to be different ingredients, but about 10yrs ago, they changed it. Tsal and Tgel were once combined. So I mix the two, or use the brown colored one. I only use it when the outbreak is really bad, with intense flaking and sores. BEFORE shampooing, make sure use use a brush on your scalp vigorously, to remove scales on the scalp. That way the medication can get to the scalp more effectively. (I do this when its just a mild flare up and im using the TTree shampoos too. ) Leave shampoo on as long as you can - several minutes. It is harsh on the hair - requiring Deep Condish Treatments during the month.

I use Giovanni TTree or TJs Tea Tree with great results. Maybe about once a month i have to use these shampoos.

Seborrheic Dermatitis is a build up of oils on the scalp which result in clogged pores equalling flaking and sores on the scalp. Brushing does help remove this. I know thats counter to curly hair care, but if you do it before shampooing, you might get better results.

Also, as with most skin problems - having oils in the diet will help. Vit E, Evening primrose oil, Omega 3s, etc are all helpful. EPO is amazing for skin issues. In my 20s i had roseacia and nothing helped. Then I started using EPO and it cleared up and i never had it again. Its a life saver now for moods during my menopausal transition. Cant say enough great things about it!

I have also started using ACV rinses just in the past couple weeks. Its been amazing for my curls - but dont know if its making a difference in my scalp. I will keep tabs on it and post later, esp when fall/winter approaches. I always get a major flare up during this time.

I wash my hair every 5-7 days.

Good luck! Once you get this under control with finding what works - it will be only a minor inconvenience as it is with me.
Jessicurl styling in summer
Natures Gate poo & condish
Thank you NC for bringing me back to curly!

Last edited by curl goddess; 07-30-2010 at 10:33 AM.
curl goddess is offline   Reply With Quote