When I first came on this board the 4a section was a graveyard. If you start posting in 4b, they will come. It's already happening, just needs to happen more. I'm mostly 4a, but tend to respond to posts in other type forums when it's appropriate.
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe

Well hopefully, this topic will contribute to the "more posts for 4b" movement. =)

So, this leaves me to the question...where are all the 4bs? I find it hard to believe that 90% of black women only have 4a or 3c hair. Could it be that the 4bs just are less prone to go natural?
Originally Posted by Indeed

I've always wondered about the bolded too. I think that yeah, either "4bs" are less likely to go natural
or
ladies with looser hair textures are highlighted and exposed to an extreme degree when compared to their counterparts (obviously the two possibilities are rooted in the same problem--that *bleeping* good hair slave mentality).

All that said, I have noticed that most hair blogs and forums are void of the tighter textured presence--there's one notable exception that I know of. Nappturality. There are some beautiful ladies over there. As for hair idols? Feast your eyes on NappyMia http://public.fotki.com/Nappyme/
She also has a blog: http://nappyme.wordpress.com/
I love her!
Originally Posted by AmberBrown

Amber, I'm incredibly flattered beyond words. Thank you.

With regard to the topic at hand, I think we're just the least likely to go natural. Also, when it's very well cared for and moisturized (with all the edges neatly tucked in) it can look as if it's something else.

I can't tell you how many times, when I'm wearing one of my twisted hair styles that people have referred to my hair as "good hair."

But let me wear a puff or some style like my box braids where my edges are out in all their nappy glory and that's when my naps tell no tales. I rarely, if ever get any compliments...not that I'm looking for any but that's the way it goes.

To the original poster, we do have an internet presence, however, many naturals prefer not to identify with the whole hair typing system and so they're no likely to broadcast that they're a 4B. You've also got folks declaring that they're a 4C, which I think is just 4B hair. But for some reason, they think their hair is the nappiest on earth and so they can't possibly be a 4B. Eh...whatever. But basically, someone who says they're a 4c is really a 4b.

The cNapp albums page of my blog still has some pretty good active links so go there. And this may help as well.

http://cnappymenow.com/

Good luck!
Originally Posted by Nappy*Me

That's a damn shame. In know you you aren't looking for anyone's approval over your hair, but it's still nice to get compliments. I also agree with you about the 4c thing...I don't think that category (if any) is necessary. Thank you for the link, btw.
You know, reading some of the issues on this post brings to mind a thread I started a week or two ago about 3’s being the true curly hair. There was so much blowback from the post you would think I was discussing 9-11 or something of that magnitude. Anyhow, I think it is interesting that some of you gals mentioned not being able to relate to terms like curl formation and that sort of thing and that speaks DIRECTLY to my point on that post. I think calling everyone curly can be a problem….Because everyone is NOT curly. Some are straight, some are wavy, some are curly and some are kinky. Of course we know that wavy and kinky are forms of curl, but nevertheless the hair’s properties are quite different. I feel that a lot of women of color now want to erroneously identify with curly because it makes them feel better. And that should not be the purpose of going natural. Going natural should be about accepting your hair AS IT IS and making an honest assessment of it. There is some escapism, I feel, in using the term curly as an umbrella term. Wavy hair has its own characteristics and they are different than curly. Kinky hair has its very own beautiful personality and it is different than curly hair. In any case, I think you 4b ladies should be proud of hell of what you have – I have seen some GORGEOUS heads of 4b and mouth-dropping fros – when hair is nourished properly. And what about dreads and twists? I have seen some beautiful manes….
Originally Posted by Curlcraze4

Your last post was on point, but I'm not sure I agree with this one. Yes, we are kind of left out in the curl definition thing, but it's not a "I wish my hair could do that" type of thing, but "wow, I can't even use 90% of these tips on this website" thing. Also, just because our curls are tight and don't clump together doesn't mean we don't have any at all. I know you said that kinky hair is formed from curly hair, but to not refer to it as curly, imo, is like saying that lemonade doesn't have lemons. I not going to sit here and deny that kinky hair is different from looser curls, but at the end of the day, it's still curly (although insanely tight).

Nevertheless, I still love it.