Hey y'all, I'm new here. I've done tons of searches and have probably read 50-60 threads looking for an answer to my specific question with no luck. You ladies all seem to be super knowledgable though, so here goes!

I have very short hair that's 3c in the back and 3b on the top. My roots are 4a. I would love to loosen to between a 3a and a 2c. Many of the non-chemical styling suggestions I've found involve either time I don't have or hair length I don't have. Here's a picture of what I'm working with:

(Please excuse my strange mouth shape-- I was eating ;p )

I'm getting my hair cut in a few days, and I would like to loosen my curl substantially before then. I haven't relaxed in over a year and all the damaged bits have been cut off. I have an at-home relaxer, and I've used them a ton of times before. My question: Would finger-combing the relaxer through my hair and rinsing out prematurely (say after 5-8 minutes instead of 20) loosen my curl? Is there another technique (involving the relaxer or another product that will give me loose curls for an extended period of time) that I should consider? Is there another product I should consider?

Thanks so much!!