Try these:

scrunching water out with a t-shirt instead of plopping

scrunching water out with a t-shirt then plopping

scrunching water out with a t-shirt then plopping hair in the wet from scrunching t-shirt.

and

scrunching water out with a t-shirt then plopping loosely so you can get dressed but not mashing the hair into the plop very hard.
Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL
That is a very scientific approach if the same products and amounts are used! I find that scrunching most of the water out and plopping (hair loosely piled and not squished by cloth) for 15 minutes helps increase volume at the top, but I often don't bother. Because I don't have much hair or it's very fine or whatever, I have to be sure the curl pattern isn't messed up by plopping for too long or too tightly, diffusing or even bunching the hair up with clips. So many variables with products, weather, etc. Every day is a surprise!
Sulfates/cone-free since 2/1/10: Type: 3b, fine & thinnish. Water: Alkaline well water. Climate: Dry mile-high. Wash: Elucence Moisture Benefits alternating with a mixture of Devacare Low-Poo & No-Poo. CO: CJ Deep Fix or CJ Curl Rehab. Styling Product: Small amt. CJ CIAB combed through sopping wet hair. Style: Scrunch out water w/Curls Like Us cloth, Plop for 15 min with Curl-ease towel, finger comb and shake upside down, clip to add height at part, air dry. Color: Demi at a salon.