I have noticed that in the two different places where I've lived here mildew grows at different rates, and I wonder if it may be due to different water quality. I notice that if I leave anything soaking past a certain amount of time it gets that funky smell whereas where I lived before it took longer for that to happen. I think we're outside the city limits so maybe we get water from a different source now.

Mildew is a fungus so "technically" it's mold... Well, that's another great reason to use products with essential oils in them, especially tea tree, peppermint, geranium, lavender, lemon, bergamot & cinnamon. I did a search and found all of these cited in real scientific studies as having both antibacterial and fungicidal properties. I think it's much healthier for different reasons to at least partly diffuse before going to bed.

Borax is a mineral compound that removes hard deposits off clothing to help leave them cleaner, according to Wikipedia it's toxic in rather small concentrations (see here) but I guess the commercially sold one is safe. I think I saw borax at Wal-mart, "20 Mule Team" brand or something like that.

P.S. Vinegar kills both mold and mildew so it came from the water after the rinse.
2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC