According to HER, she doesn't use it-- but we could all be wrong. Also, once she disturbs the base by changing the consistency with oils and rice milk, SOMETHING has to bring it all back together. So perhaps she's double dipping and that's where the second emulsifier comes in?? Oils falling out of solution and such, it could be why.

I'm being devious... LOL!!
Originally Posted by Naturalista
If she is using a base, she would not be adding another emulsifier. That would mean heating the base and with a preservative already in it, that will make the preservative not effective anymore.

IA with Elle. If it was a base, her butters would be at least consistent. When using bases, people don't add an excess of 5% of stuff into it (I think I'm remembering this correctly, don't remember where I read this). You can't do that or you will make everything unstable. In order to add any solids, you would have to heat the base to the melting point of the new solid (e.g., emulsifier) usually 65 C or more, at which point the preservative and all other heat sensitive ingredients in the base, are not effective anymore

Also, emulsifying wax feels very different from something like ecomulse. E-wax is very waxy-feeling and you would not be getting that smooth, wet like feel with it, as you do with ecomulse. So, no, I don't think she uses e-wax at all. I've used both emulsifiers and I would not be putting e-wax in my hair because it's too waxy for me (every product I've tried that has used e-wax as an emulsifier left my hair feeling waxy and coated--beautiful curls leave in, sheamoisture curl and style milk for example)
Originally Posted by coilynapp
BINGO. Maybe that's why her butters are molding and/or smelling funny and people are complaining about the consistency issue. You've got to admit, when she first started out, i don't recall ANYONE complaining about stuff getting moldy fast or about them seperating. Once she started added more stuff to her butters and changing the ingredients,...that's when the complaints started.
Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown
Maybe, BUT not all her butters are doing this. It's not shea amla ALL the time, nor is it totally twisted ALL the time. It's here and there. If this was the case, NONE of her butters would EVER be emulsified.