Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #66
coilynapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalista View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coilynapp View Post
If she is using a base, she would not be adding another emulsifier. That would mean heating the base and with a preservative already in it, that will make the preservative not effective anymore.

IA with Elle. If it was a base, her butters would be at least consistent. When using bases, people don't add an excess of 5% of stuff into it (I think I'm remembering this correctly, don't remember where I read this). You can't do that or you will make everything unstable. In order to add any solids, you would have to heat the base to the melting point of the new solid (e.g., emulsifier) usually 65 C or more, at which point the preservative and all other heat sensitive ingredients in the base, are not effective anymore

Also, emulsifying wax feels very different from something like ecomulse. E-wax is very waxy-feeling and you would not be getting that smooth, wet like feel with it, as you do with ecomulse. So, no, I don't think she uses e-wax at all. I've used both emulsifiers and I would not be putting e-wax in my hair because it's too waxy for me (every product I've tried that has used e-wax as an emulsifier left my hair feeling waxy and coated--beautiful curls leave in, sheamoisture curl and style milk for example)
BINGO. Maybe that's why her butters are molding and/or smelling funny and people are complaining about the consistency issue. You've got to admit, when she first started out, i don't recall ANYONE complaining about stuff getting moldy fast or about them seperating. Once she started added more stuff to her butters and changing the ingredients,...that's when the complaints started.
Damn!! Beat me to the punch NCC!! ^5!!

E-wax doesn't have to be all bad. I don't deal in wax, but is it all all or nothing phenomena? How much you need to emulsify is product dependent, and if she's using something additional to emulsify to make the consistency more uniform can you you really predict what you'll get, especially if heat is added to the mix?
I'm not denying whatever she is doing is shady (whatever it is we don't know). I'm just saying e-wax feels very different from ecomulse. Even if you have a little (and all you need is a little to emulsify depending on your formula. E-wax would not give the same product feel as ecomulse. I've used both, so I know. And if you mix them both you will not get the same feel as either and it still won't be as good as ecomulse

Yes, people started complaining when she added the ricemilk. Things like that milk powders, even aloe are tricky to preserve, so you have to know what you are doing. If at first her preservative system was working right and then she added the milk and didn't see if her system is working with the new formula, then that's what you get spoiled milk smell