Thread: Are you mixed?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #41
anonymous_11480

I get the "what are you?" a lot. I have had a few people ask if I'm black or say something like "you must have some black in you with that hair." It used to bother me when I was younger because I always tried to straighten my hair and I hated that people could tell it wasn't naturally straight. I remember this one time in high school, I had just gotten my hair done and my cheerleading coach who was black goes "Girl, you have some black girl hair, that's how my hair looks when its straight." It was funny at the time cuz then all the girls started joking about thats why I get all the steps so quick lol. But back to the point. I'm Puerto Rican, Italian, and Cuban and while I dont get offended by someone asking if I'm mixed or of I'm part black because of my hair, it does bother that they assume that the only way my hair could be this way is if I'm mixed. Thats when I just let them know that most of the world has curly hair but that everyone straightens it so you can't tell. Just the mentality that a certain race = certain type of hair, or certain type of anything actually, bothers me. But thats beside the point. The only time I get upset if someone asks me this is when they are obviously asking in a derogatory way. Then I'm quick to shut them up with a "and if I am? You got a problem?" lol

3C/3B- still trying to figure out porosity (normal to low?) and all that other stuff. My hair seems to like protein.
Co-wash/Condish - Suave Naturals, V-05, Tresemme Naturals
DT - CJ Rehab

PT-
CJ Repair Me
Leave in - CJ Hibiscus and Banana Butta, CJ Smoothing Lotion
Styling - CK, AG Recoil, Ecostyler, The Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine

I'm slowly but surely becoming a Curl Junkie Junkie

anonymous_11480 is offline   Reply With Quote