View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #14483
spiderlashes5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saria View Post
Check out this negative review (it's a review of Savory Baking):

This was a difficult cookbook to review because the recipes are so different from anything I normally eat either at home or at fine restaurants. Others have detailed the recipes and written about the contents, so I'll stick to the title and what I found to eat. The title is hugely mis-leading. I expected to see cakes, cookies, desserts and more desserts. Even the names that begin with that in mind, do not end on the dessert tray: Scones - stuffed with Carmelized red onions and brie, chicken dijon brown betty, and even onion, fennel, and orange upside down shortcake. Are you kidding me? I'm sorry, but I can't even pick anything out that sounds remotely appetizing. Okay, I lied. I really did find one item: Portobello mushroom, rosemary, and shalot cream clafouti. It was good, however, it was extremely rich and each serving was the equivalent of two servings for me and my wife. But even that was so out of the ordinary, that I doubt that we'd make it again. I've eaten at some fancy restaurants, and even there, I never saw anything like these foods. However, and this is big caveat, if you want to make something that your friends are sure to have never eaten in their lives, this is the cookbook for you.

Oy vey.
I also can't help but get a kick out of the word "fancy" showing up.

It gets better when someone points out that he doesn't seem to know what "savory" means:

Sure, and I tried to explain that nothing here seemed savory to me. I can't even begin to think about the combinations that are tried. Even the mushroom recipe was only savory for a mouthful of two before it got to the point of too much richness. I'm sure that others will love it. As I said, it's not for me.
You gotta understand all the words in the title, people! LOL (That stuff sounds good; I put cooked onions into everything!)

spiderlashes5000 is offline   Reply With Quote