View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #43
MixedUpCurlyChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaCoily View Post
I don't think that my hair is 4b. My logic is this...the numbers represent the size of the coil/curl. My coils are the size of a pen spring/coffee stirrer (which is about 1/8" in diameter-see pic below). Many of the 4s I see have coils that are bigger than mine (about 1/4"). Add to that my coils do not clump together at all, and together these two things make a huge difference in care and styling.

Honestly, I would say that I am part of an unrepresented hair type, and I petition the addition of category 5. IMO, the difference is not between 4A and 4B, if your hair has a smaller coil, but it is the difference between 4 and 5.
That's the definition of 4a...4a is smaller than pencil size to coffee stirrer size and smaller. The definition of 4B is hair that is fluffy with no curl pattern, even when stretched. All the number/letters have range so if you see ppl with bigger curls/coils, you might be the same hair type or they may have mistyped themselves. Have you seen the pen spring thread? Lots of 4as have pen springs. Picture thread attempt 4a, pen spring ladies

The number/letters are only about curl circumference. Ppl who say they are 4C+ tend to cite their reasons being that they have no curl/coil whatsoever or their hair is "very nappy." How fine or coarse the hair is, is irrelevant. If there's no curl/coil pattern, its 4B.