I use coconut oil before and after I wash my hair. These are the steps that I take:
- My coconut oil is normally solid so I fill a large pan with hot water then place a smaller bowl inside the large pan. I place 3 tablespoons of coconut oil inside the smaller bowl and I wait for it to melt. I do not like to apply hot oil to my hair because hot oil can damage the hair.
- I mist my hair with a small amount of water and then I apply the melted coconut oil to my hair. The coconut oil is normally luke warm at this point.
- I then wrap my hair with cling film(or a saran wrap or a plastic shower cap) this helps to open my cuticles allowing the coconut oil to penetrate into my hair shaft. I leave this on for a minimum of 15 mins
- I normally shampoo my hair with a sulfate free shampoo
- After shampooing I add coconut oil to my creamy conditioner and deep condition my hair.
Hope this helps.