For me the float test did not work. My hair floated for days and there is no way I have low porosity.
The best way to find out is to send your hair into the link mentioned above. I figured mine out by reading this link.
Porosity and Curly Hair | NaturallyCurly.com
The quick drying time refers to hair without conditioner and styling products. These can greatly extend the drying time.
Your stylist may be able to help you figure out your porosity.
Another test is the strand test on livecurlylivefree.com. This was another dud for me. My hair is way too fine to feel, let alone feel small differences in the cuticle. This test does work for some people. But IMHO just because you don't feel anything, it does not mean you don't have porous hair. The openings in the cuticle are very small. See this quote from this link.
THE NATURAL HAVEN: Part 2 of 2: Porosity - Can you fix it?
The cuticle can be raised slightly (it takes very sensitive instruments to detect this the distance can be as little as one millionth of a meter). Running your fingers down a strand to feel for a raised cuticle is simply not possible unless you have severely damaged hair.
HTH
http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
Cowash: Tresemme naturals
Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
Curl enhancer: FSG
Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers