Try and cut out as much added sugar as you can. But indulge every now and then! I stick to the "one dessert a day" rule - or, really, one sweet thing a day. So I don't deprive myself, but my sugar intake is limited.

Be cautious of high fructose corn syrup and too many preservatives. Become the annoying label-checker. Also, look at the recommended serving size on the packaging and try to stay within that limit.

Don't buy things you know are bad for you! If they aren't in the house, you can't snack mindlessly. Along that same line of thought, never grocery shop when you're hungry, because you buy way too much food, and let's be honest, when I'm starving in a grocery store, I'm not going to the carrots, I'm going to the garlic breadsticks.

WHOLE GRAINS. Actually, whole foods in general. Get as close to the foods' original form as you can.

Cook! Don't buy too much already prepared food. If you take the time to make your own food, then you know what is going into it! And you become a better cook. AND you can save the leftovers! A win-win for everyone!

Also - eat slowly. Savor the food, unless it's mushrooms, which are - let's be real here - kind of disgusting. Maybe only to me. Anyway, you want to allow your stomach 20 minutes to send "I'm full" signals to your brain, and if you eat faster than that you risk overeating. And no one likes that bloated "too full" feeling.

Eat dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate when you can. Actually, dark chocolate (in small amounts) is supposed to be good for you. Antioxidants, I think? Anyway, I have three pieces every day.

Green tea! If you drink three or four cups a day, they say it can help speed up your metabolism to burn around 80 extra calories! I don't know if this is true, but green tea has many other proven benefits, so it can't hurt.

Lots of water.

Six small meals a day, instead of three large ones. Helps your metabolism speed up.

My mom tells me that combining certain foods is supposed to increase their benefits - I don't know the details on this one, but if you look it up, maybe you'll find some info. My mom did say that if you eat whole grains with fat, it is supposed to reduce the drawbacks of the fat. I'm pretty foggy on this one, but like I said, maybe investigate it more. Maybe I will and I'll come back and edit this once I get a more substantial answer.

Another mom-tip: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. From a book she read called In Defense Of Food by Micheal Pollen. I hope I spelled his name right.

It also wouldn't hurt to watch Food Inc. It's a good documentary about the food being produced today. A little long, but good.
Oregon curly!
Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
Mod-CG since Nov '10
Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
RO: Desert Essences Coconut
Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com

Last edited by sleepyjess; 01-16-2011 at 06:46 PM.