Do I think horrible things have been done in this country and in every other country throughout history? Yes. Do I hate and blame Columbus for all that has gone bad in the world since he got here? Of course not. Do I think he was a man hired to do a job who did it to the best of his abilities? Yep. In the end, do I think the 'discovery' of America is worthy of a holiday? Sure
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Have horrible things been done and continue to be done in this country? Yes. Is this the most powerful nation on earth at this time? Yes. Do I hate and blame Columbus for all that has gone bad in the world since he got here? Of course not...he had many, many cohorts. But he sure as he ll did a GREAT DEAL of DAMAGE by taking on that job and leading the way. Again, he was just ONE thug among MANY. But responsible for his part nevertheless. And you're right, he sure did his job to the best of his ability - killed natives, brought slaves, pillaged natural resources, appropriated land that wasn't his to take, allowed missionaries to feed bogus religion to the so called heathens so they would be submissive servants and turn the other cheek, sent profits and goods back to Europe to supply the European gentry with native goods worked by african men, women and children, and finally left those so called third world countries with the legacy of corrupt politics.

Quick tidbit here...what is now called America was inhabited by people for thousands of years before Columbus and his ilk arrived with their guns, germs, and deadly steel. And their undefatigable, unabating GREED. So, sorry, no discovery to speak of....unless you're just speaking from a European perspective, which of course, is the status quo. :-)