I am glad for this thread. I am really new to the being curly thing, and I still feel kind of like Peter Parker waking up one morning and finding out that he can now walk on walls and ceilings like he can the floor. So, I am still learning to "deal with" curls and moisture while realizing that I don't deal with them, they deal with me.

This morning I had wet hair when starting at 8AM (I had arrived at my place of employment around 7:10AM or so because working at a grocery store you can just buy breakfast there anyway and I had decided on breakfast there) after having gotten out of the shower at 6:10AM and let my hair begin air drying. I went in and went over to look at the bakery cold case to look for deals. I said "Good morning bakery" like I usually do and in response got an open mouthed stare from a lady (whom I have known for years and get along with well on a co-worker basis) and her eyes went wide. My hair was still pretty wet; it was also foggy and drippy when I was going to work this morning. "You need a hair cut" was what came out of her mouth, and another bakery worker whom I have known even longer than the fist one, chimed in with the same "Yes you do need a hair cut". (These two are straight haired and over 55.) I responded by saying that I did not, and that the hair was not in my eyes (as they were insisting it was), which at the moment it was but I could push it out and I wasn't starting for about another hour, in which time I knew it would be an over-all non-issue.

My hair was wet sure, but when one cannot towel or hair dryer hair, because the result is a giant frizz ball, what is one to do? Even combing is not a very good idea in excess. I combed enough to get some water off the hair to help speed the drying process a little bit at home before leaving for work, but again, that is tempting frizz. I have thick hair, drying takes time. I think the hair was finally dry by about nine thirty in the morning. So, for me, this is a real question too. While I do not want to go in with a sopping head of hair, other than a hair net and hair dryer, how to dry the hair?

So far management is cool, or at least not saying anything about it. It seems like since I have been letting my hair grow out and my beard, that the male store manager and the male assistant manager have been treating me with more respect. Customers have given my hair and beard great compliments, both men and women. Younger women give me the eye in the aisles. I finally said to the bakery ladies, "I have curly hair, it's not getting cut." and walked off with them still going on about my needing a hair cut and related commentary.

I think a lot of this issue with wet hair regards personal presentation (as many other people have said). I think that part of presentation is balance. I am not shaving in part because my skin is dry (eczema) and Winter is a bad time for it. On the other hand too, it helps balance out my appearance with my hair so that I do not look like I am going to fall backwards. Perhaps if the "bigness" of the hair is an issue that is being subconsciously coupled with the wetness of the hair there is a ready remedy for women. Perhaps if a necklace of some sort were worn on the front, that had a large pendant, or was a nice looking layered jewelry piece, then perhaps the presentation would appear to be more balanced. If I have no idea what I am talking about here, please tell me. This realm of curliness is quite new and I have never been a woman (nor would want to be a woman, like being a guy quite a bit) so I am sure I could be completely off on this one.

Anyway, thank you for the posts.