View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Tuchie09

Default Pregunta: How to respond to compliments

Tuesday was wash day, and on Wednesday before I went to school I re-twisted my hair into two strand twists, so my hair was in clean, conditioned, neat twists so it looked great. I was walking into Pizza Hut and as I was headed for the line I saw a woman looking at me and when I got in line she said "I love your hair!" and I said "Thank you" politely and that was it.

You're probably thinking "WTF...that's a good thing" and I know it's good, I'm glad that I get compliments on my hair but I just don't know how to respond sometimes. Do I just say "Thank you" and move on or compliment back? I feel like if a woman compliments my hair it has to be tit for tat, especially if she is natural. Sometimes fellow naturals compliment my hair because they just BCed and want reassurance for themselves. So they go on and on about my hair and say negative things about theirs so I feel guilted into complimenting them. I love helping out fellow naturals but I hate when women do that, asking for tips is fine but don't put your hair down and throw a mini pity party. My sister said don't return the compliment unless you honestly like their hair, don't be fake. So sometimes I don't like their hair; doesn't matter if they're relaxed or natural or what type/texture, maybe their not taking care of it properly and it looks a mess, so I don't return the hair compliment and they look at me like I'm smug or I think I'm "all that".

In case of the lady at Pizza Hut, I looked at her hair and she was relaxed with some micro braids and since I don't think relaxed hair is pretty I didn't return the compliment and when she realized I wasn't going to say anything back she looked away like "OK don't be rude".

Maybe it's just me but when I compliment someone I could care less if they return it or not, I feel a compliment should be one way and the giver should not be fishing for compliments. When I compliment a natural's hair I do it and go on about my day. But if it's the other way around and I don't return it I'm rude, smug or think me and my hair are all that. If I return it I only want to do it if it's genuine not because someone guilts me into it by praising my hair and putting down theirs. Does anyone else deal with this [weird] battle within their heads or am I the only one?

My Arsenal:
Shampoo: Waiting on SM African Black soap shampoo to makes its way to me...
Conditioner(s): CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, CJ Repair Me!
Oil: Apricot Kernel Oil
Stylers: CD Loc Butter for twists, CJAF, CJCQ (haven't figured out how to work this though...)
Tuchie09 is offline   Reply With Quote