Well, here it goes. This is a wee bit long. :P

I've had "long" hair all my life. Currently, it's at my bra clasp when straight, middle of my shoulderblades when wet, and hovering just above my shoulders when dry. Shrinkage is a part of curly life...this I understand. What I don't understand is why I look at pictures of me in the 8th grade, pictures of me as a Senior in high school, pictures of me now (just turned 25)...and my hair is more or less the same length. No drastic cuts, no health or stress issues, and I give my hair plenty of TLC and use all the right products. I get my hair blowdried straight maybe 2-3 times a year and don't use chemicals. Yet, it's stunted. I get my eyebrows threaded and, within 2 weeks, I need to get them done again. My nails have no problem growing. I'm like Teen Wolf everywhere else but the top of my head. It's frustratinmg to see friends who have chopped their hair off in
the past 5 years, and for it to now be longer than mine.

So here's my plan: I want to cut it. Short. Shorter than it's ever been. I want to SEE my hair grow. See if it CAN grow past its current length. If it can't/won't grow any further, I'll just resign myself to the fact that I'll be stuck at this length forever. Sound like a crazy idea?

If I were to do this, does anyone have any salon recommendations for such an undertaking? I'm 15 minutes away from Manhattan, so I have access to the Devachans and the Ouidads and the Miss Jessies. I don't think I can trust a non-curly salon for this kind of job. Any specific stylists I should think about seeing? Also, how far in advance should I book my appointment/consultation?

Thanks so much, my curly compadres!

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!