I don't actually think Shaun P designed the Tangle Teezer specifically for curly hair. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't. It was just designed for people with difficult to detangle hair (I guess straight haired folks have that problem too- ) I'm from London and they have been around for a while since his appearance on Dragon's Den a few years ago where he was turned down for investment. I remember him trying to convince Deborah Meaden (straight-haired female dragon) to try it out on her hair because he said it was dyed and dyed hair tends to be more difficult to brush and detangle, he said. But she insisted her hair was naturally that colour and refused.

I was just interested as I'm really into the show, and always like to see good ideas do well especially if they have been turned down by the dragons (he was picked up by Boots soon after and I think turned a profit within the first year) but I never even considered it for my own hair. I wonder which curly first thought it might work on their hair, and then started off this recent craze- lol. I called the company recently about becoming a distributor (I have a natural hair store) and when I mentioned how popular they are now in the natural hair community, the woman was like "Yeah I know. Its a recent thing. Its weird!"

Anyway, I have been using this now for about a month and LOVE it. I have patches of both "4a" and "4b". I am watching my ends very closely after that Curly Nikki report. However I never brush or comb dry- though I have used it to smooth out dampened hair for a twistout, and even then I was a little wary.
Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far