Does anyone else notice a little frizz from the SS CEJ? I've been going back and forth between that and AOMM and so far seem to get better clumping and less frizz with the AOMM. How much do you all use of the CEJ? I used about 2-3 quarter size. I love the SS FHG though, finally a natural gel that holds! and isn't sticky!
Originally Posted by Beebop
I don't get frizz from CEJ (because it doesn't contain glycerin), but I do get a few flyaways because the hold is good but not strong. To counter this, I use a little curl cream or leave-in conditioner smoothed onto dry hair to tame flyaways, lightly re-scrunching as needed. My favorite products for SOTC are MD red clover/honey leave-in and MD CSC. I generally use the MD leave-in to tame flyaways in low-med dews, and the MD CSC in high dews (since it's a heavier product).

I've done a similar routine with CJ CIAB in place of SS CEJ; CIAB gives me slightly less hold then CEJ, but hair is shinier, so it's a trade-off. Some people like to SOTC with just a tiny bit of CIAB to add shine and definition even if they don't use it as their main product.

If I use CEJ as my only hold product, without extra gel on top, I always use a curl cream underneath (to supply additional hold). If I use a leave-in conditioner under CEJ instead, then I top with FHG (lightly scrunched in after plopping). My favorite curl creams to use under CEJ are: CJ CCCC (summer only), CJ CCCC lite, and MD CSC.

I always use 3 full pumps of CEJ for my BSL hair. I supersoak afterwards (to maximize product distribution) and then plop for 20-30 minutes before air drying or diffusing.

So, to summarize, my two main ways of using CEJ are:

1. leave-in + CEJ + FHG
2. curl cream + CEJ + SOTC (with leave-in or curl cream)

Basically, I use CEJ almost every single time I style, except on those occasional times when I substitute CIAB instead, or when I use a stronger gel (CJ CQ) in place of both CEJ and FHG.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair