@sbudsky: I don't have a strong curl pattern, but the more I've used both CJ and SS over time, my hair has become healthier so I need a little less gel than I used to. I used to use BRHG all the time, and now I almost never use it. Comparing CJ and SS, I don't get stronger curls with one line than the other. The only thing that gives me consistently strong curl is summer humidity (which unfortunately comes with frizz as well!) Adding a little protein to my routine also helps boost my curl.

For me, CEJ doesn't really "give" me flyaways; left to its own devices, my hair naturally has its own flyaways and I need products with hold to control them. The easy solution is to always use a hard-hold gel (like BRHG). However, I generally don't like the way my hair feels with this in it.

So what are the alternatives to hard-hold gel for someone (like myself) with a weak curl pattern?

The possibilties:
*A light- or medium-hold gel provides hold but virtually no moisture.
*A leave-in conditioner provides moisture but virtually no hold.
*A curl cream provides moisture plus some hold.
*A gelly, like CEJ, provides a little moisture and a little hold.

Solutions:

1. Curl cream + gelly = 2 sources of hold, neither of them crunchy. I still have some flyaways leftover, so the final SOTC step becomes crucial.

2. leave-in + gelly + medium-hold gel = 2 sources of hold, neither of them crunchy.

Gellies I've used and liked: SS CEJ, CJ CIAB, KCCC, UFDCM

Medium-hold gels I've used and liked: SS FHG, CJ CQ

@Beebop: IMO, when using CEJ over a curl cream, without an additional gel on top, the final SOTC step is crucial if you want to get rid of all flyways. You could use a tiny amount of a light butter product, like JC N&S, or one of the MD products. Or you could try a little bit of your leave-in conditioner and see how that works.

Also, the CEJ doesn't have enough hold for me either when used over a leave-in conditioner instead of a curl cream. I always finish with FHG in those cases.

The exciting thing is that CEJ + FHG (2 products) makes my hair more soft and touchable and less producty than using BRHG (1 product) without forfeiting any definition.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair

Last edited by melaniesusan; 03-30-2011 at 10:22 PM.