I think your roommate got defensive because when she commented on your straight hair you told her that you didn't like it and couldn't wait to wash it.

Kind of off topic but I don't like the "jump on the straight haired girl" train we have on here sometimes...I'm pretty sure that if the story were reversed, and your straight haired roommate came home with a head full of curls and you said, "Omg! You curled your hair!" and she responded, "Oh I know, but I am SO not a fan..." there would be a thread on here saying that she was acting like curly hair wasn't good enough and it was offensive. I think we need to remember that there are people in the world with naturally straight hair, and their hair is pretty too. In praising our curls I feel as if we are supposed to be bashing straight hair...Yes, her comments were a little overkill, but I'm pretty sure she was giving you a side eye for acting like your straight hair was oh so unappealing.
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree

Amen. I feel like a lot of bashing of straight hair goes on, pride shouldn't only come from belittling others. If you want people to accept how you were born, (not talking to the original poster just in general), then you need to accept how they were born. I always hear stuff like "some girl with stringy flat hair tired to tell ME... blah blah blah". My dad had a perm for years because he thought his flat straight hair looked bad. He finally stopped perming about eleven years ago.

Just as we may struggle sometimes, people with straight hair can struggle too.

In my opinion, people with thick wavy hair are the luckiest of all!
Mostly relaxed, yet still curly hair, which I am going to try to grow out with daily conditioner rinses and a shampoo once or twice a week.

Officially Transitioning since March 2011.
Last Relaxer September 2010

Got some kind of curly bangs going here! And I think my bangs are all natural!

I think that my natural hair is somewhere between a 3b and a 3c, I hope it's not too soon to tell!