If the seat doesn't appear clean (as in free of visible anything), I look for another toilet. I use the paper liners if provided. PLEASE: clean up after yourself, whatever your method! This includes making sure whatever you deposited in that toilet is GONE.

But I have a question about the tampons -- I thought one of the whole points of tampons is that they are flushable? (Not the wrappers or applicators, but the tampon itself.) Am I crazy?

Anyway, if you start thinking about the germs lurking in a public bathroom, you would never go in there. The poster who said the faucet and door handles are your biggest source of problems was exactly right.

I wash my hands, dry them, then use another fresh paper towel to turn off the faucet and open the door. Ugh. I hate bathrooms that only provide the hote air blower, no towels. What about the splash water all over the counters, sinks, etc. Nasty. Bacteria love dampness.
"Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"