So, I'm sitting her with half dry hair with okra gel on it. It is a fail, but that may be because of the cornstarch and not the okra itself. Malformed frizzy clumps. There was frizz there when I took my hair out of the plop. The clumps were formed frizzy. I actually put FSG on half my head and okra gel on the other half, so I know the cause is something in the okra gel.
I may try again tomorrow with an okra gel without cornstarch. My plan is to boil it down to thicken it. Then again, I may just call this a fail and call it a day.

What I did:
I have a small measuring pot (3 inches wide). I added 1/2 c distilled water and then added enough okra to reach water level. I brought the pot to a boil and boiled 5 minutes. I let the okra cool in the pot. I strained with a tea strainer, pressing lightly with a spoon. Then I mixed 1 tsp water with 1 tsp cornstarch and returned to a boil. The consistency way similar to FSG at this point.
The consistency before adding corn starch is hard to describe. Gooey water?? Thin for sure. It looked like a similar consistency to what a woman on youtube got when she made okra gel.
The smell is vegetal with some cayenne pepper smell mixed in. I'm guessing that is what okra normally smells like. It is one vegetable that I've never really cooked with before. I normally don't scent things, but I would probably try scenting this. It isn't bad, but isn't good either. Doesn't smell like hair products for sure.
http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
Cowash: Tresemme naturals
Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
Curl enhancer: FSG
Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Last edited by pedaheh; 05-10-2011 at 07:12 PM.