Kathymack, do you happen to know the pH of the bars you've used? Just curious. Thx
Originally Posted by artemis513
My pH strips aren't the best--they are less then 8. I used to always do an ACV rinse, but feel that if I'm using products that are formulated correctly for my rinse out and styling, that it should return the pH balance to the right level.

I apologize for taking the thread away from your original post. I will add that my hair just HATES baking soda. Even a 1/4 t in a recipe that calls for a tablespoon makes it hard and straw like.

I totally agree with your initial statement about folks who want to "fix" their low porosity hair. Once you learn what your hair likes and doesn't like, it's really not a problem.
Originally Posted by kathymack
Thanks. I find it refreshing that you actually tested them to see. In my experience as someone with low porosity, I've used cleansers that were pH 6-6.5 and my hair did not like them (though many factors play a role), but 4.5-5.5 and those were better. So indeed as we all know everyone's hair is different. I find it interesting that shampoo bars are preferred more by low porosity curlies than not. I would never use baking soda on my hair just b/c of the basics of chemistry (and principle lol) but I am not surprised at all that your hair does not like baking soda.

I understand that sometimes we can get quite eager to learn about and try new products when dealing with hair, but it's very important (IMO) to learn the basics and what you're working with beforehand so that one when exploring you're not doing things that could damage the hair (and could've been prevented with a little research and critical thinking).

Thanks again.
4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
My Fotki
My Blog

Last edited by artemis513; 05-26-2011 at 01:35 PM.