View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #21
ringlets of fire

Your color looks great! It is very natural. Beautiful.

Thanks for the feedback on the kit. I want to try the one called Toasted Coconut. I will have to wait. I recently tried salon highlights for the first time. The colorist left me with yellow and orange stripes! I had to go back within the week for her to fix it without charging me more $$$. Oh, so many chemicals. Blech. I'll need to give my hair a break after that.

You can buy highlighting tools at a beauty supply store. The quality is better than the things that come with a kit. You can pick up highlight brushes, a plastic bowl, foil, a comb with a thin metal tip on the end to section hair, nicer gloves... all sorts of fun things. I remember doing my friends hair in high school. We ended up using a tootbrush to apply highlights!

Back to your original question about hair color secret codes. Isn't it odd that they make it hard to understand? They use numbers to represent levels. You can google hair levels and pick where your natural level falls. 1 is black. 10 is palest blonde. A few brands go up to 12. Say you are a level 6 and want to maintain that level, just cover gray. You'll likely pick a 6. However, if you look up reviews, you'll see that many brands come out darker... so, reviewers suggest to go up a level lighter.

Then, comes the tricky thing... the labeling or coding varies by brand. Some have other numbers. Some have letters. Some have a combo. It is best to google the specific brand to find out what it means. If you can't find the answer, call the brand's 800 number. For some brands, A means ash. For other brands, they'll use .1 for ash. Yours was 6.1, meaning level 6 with ash tones.
Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
ringlets of fire is offline   Reply With Quote