Sorry if this is considered a thread hijack, but this is right up my alley at the moment.
Curlypearl, I also have white that I color. I only do the roots each time, and use different methods to deal with color fading on the lengths (every few colorings, I put color on lengths the last 5 minutes; I also use a semi-perm, the kind you don't have to mix, for 5 minutes every 3 to 5 days in between root colorings). I am just now figuring out that I need protein, I was always afraid of it in the past because everyone said it fades color. My question is: how often you have to do your roots? And, also: do you ever do protein treatments any time besides just before coloring? I ask because my hair grows very fast, it's dark brown, and the roots are WHITE, so I must color every two-three weeks.
One more question; why is better to deep condition/moisturize AFTER the protein? For some reason, my logic tells me that I should get moisture in first, then "seal the holes" with protein. Why is this wrong?

Also, I recently switched from permanent color (was using Perfect 10 for a long time, but it was actually too fast!) to Ion Demi-permanent color from Sally's. This colors my very resistant white hair very very well and does not seem to fade much if any. I use the Ion semi-perm for my in-between times to fight fading.

Thanks so much!
Originally Posted by ginny11
Not curlypearl, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

You can do a protein treatment any time, not just before coloring. You'll be able to tell how often you need one by the way your hair responds.

You do the DT after the PT because a heavy does of protein can make your hair feel "hard". I know that sounds weird, but it's the only way I can describe it. When I'm short on time and can't do a back-to-back PT/DT, I use Ion Effective Care Treatment. It's thick like a conditioner and has enough slip that I can use it to detangle. I usually lo-poo, then put it in, detangle, and let it sit on my hair for about 5 minutes before rinsing out. Sometimes I don't even have to follow it with a RO - I just go straight to my LI.

Protein will only strip color if you do a treatment too soon after coloring. I would suggest waiting about a week. After that you should be okay. HTH!
3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
Love flour sack towels.
Coconut oil = magic!