View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
naturalnewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealChic4eva View Post
Hey yall!

I'm 10 months in and I'm starting to have a difficult time handling my hair. I'd probably get a relaxer if I hadn't come so far already.

I've always had long hair, and I'm not interested in short hair at all. The tangles are out of control! I can pass the comb thru, grab a clip, change the channel, do anything really, I go back to it and it's tangled again! So frustrating!

I don't know if the tangling is b/c of the relaxed ends or what. But I don't really see how that can be the case.

I'm brushing BSL straightened, and I plan to cut 3-4 inches as soon as I get the cajones.

Dunno what to do abt it being so difficult to handle tho.

I just wanted to offer my words of encouragement to all the long-term transitioners. I transitioned for about 18 months and I wish I had seen a thread like this during that time. I also wish I had taken more pics so I could look back on the progress I had made. I'm taking pics now tho...I have a long way to go before I reach the length that I'm comfortable with.

@ RealChic:
I'd say most of my tangles/knots are due to dead hair falling out and tangling with the surrounding hairs. I could easily rock a twist out for over a week without detangling my hair...but on wash day, I pay for it. So, I try not to go more than 5 days w/o detangling.

I have found that detangling dry relaxed hair is fine, but doing the same to natural hair is To avoid some (but not all ) of my tangles, I started detangling in the shower. A good thick conditioner will give you slip and if you comb/brush through your hair while standing under the water, the stream of H20 will rinse away some of those shedding hairs. If your hair is shoulder length or longer, you might have to detangle in 4-5 sections.

Also, your hair might be craving moisture...you might want to try a deep conditioning treatment and see if that has an impact on the number of tangles you get.
naturalnewb is offline   Reply With Quote