I was wondering if anyone had people make rude comments about their curly hair that really stayed with them? We can commisserate together! SOrry if this has been done.

I'm 26 now but these comments have stuck with me and given me a really negative image of my hair:

1 Walking down the school bus aisle I overheard one guy say "you know whose hot (referring to me)," guy 2 says "Eww with that huge mass of hair," "guy 1 says "WHo cares just put a bag over her head she has huge..."

2 In JH 1 of my best friends was running her hands through my hair. I asked her to stop saying it messed up my curls and I was having a bad hair day. SHe said "You *ARE* a bad hair day" In HS this same girl said, after I came to school with a temp straight style "YOu should keep it that way...."

3 In JH this boy said my hair felt like "ruberized sheep wool." :x

4 In preshool this girl put mud in my hair. And made some crappy comment that escapes me now.

5 When I was 10 I went shopping w/my grandma who has fine silky hair. WHenever a sales lady waited on us srandma would say "Look what the wind does to our hair"--desperately trying to smooth down my locks. Resistance is futile grandma

6 In hs my boyfriend saw a childhood picture of me. He said "Oh my God yo had a FRO". THere's nothing wrong with fros, but It wasn't anywhere close to a fro. Ignorance, ignorance.

7 In 7th grade a stylist chopped off 3/4 of my long hair when I'd asked for a trim. When I walked in a classroom to deliver a letter, everyone simultaneuosly gasped--DAAAAAAMMMMMN her hair is so frizzy. DAAAAMMMMN.

8 In the locker room in JH the girls would always tell me to get a relaxer.....unsolicited advice.

ANyway, I feel better now. SOrry for the vent. ANy similar experiences?
Originally Posted by lotus

Look you need to forget these comments. You guys are older now, and as natural hair makes a (permanent) comeback, you're ahead of the curve.

I don't understand why people get insecure about natural hair or transitioning in general. Everyone's seen it. Those girls w/ glued down hair and a fake ponytail in the back. The receding hairlines, gharish weaves, obvious wigs, and of course, the old lady w/ barely any hair left. What you have is a natural head of healthy hair that GROWS and that you know how to deal with. It's the right shade, and if you still have a fro, it probably frames your features far better than some overpriced style du jour.

If anyone gives a transitioner or natural issues, it's just wide open for their own fried locks to be thrown right back at them. Some girls in college tried the whole let's do your hair thing, and I'm like "Yeah, OH-kay. It's been four years and your hair has remained at ONE LENGTH". :/ You should never take / remember / care about advice from people who clearly don't know what they're doing.