If she has made a prior public statement that she believes the wife should submit to her husband than the question would be valid as it would lead people to believe that her husband's wishes would be coming through the presidency or that she believed in traditional female roles and how would that play into her taking a very non-traditional office as a woman (at least that's how I would read into it).

If she has not made such a statement on public record (I am not sure) than the question was inappropriate and rude. Which may be the only time I defend the woman. She horrifies me.
Originally Posted by KookyCurl
She has made such public statements, back in 2006. She quoted scripture as a means of explaining how she came to 'submitting' to her husband. The scripture she quoted did NOT mention a husband submitting to his wife, only the wife to the husband.

I think in light of this, it's a totally valid question.

Also, it goes to the broader issue that there are a whole lot of public statements Michele Bachmann has made that she is now shying away from. She also lies/fabricates things a lot.

Here is some context and background on the debate question, from this article, which had some thoughtful analysis, I thought.

In 2006, when Michele Bachmann was recounting her career path at church, she explained that her husband Marcus Bachmann told her to get her post doctorate in Tax Law, and that while she hated the idea, “The Lord says, ‘Be submissive, wives. You are to be submissive to your husbands.’”

Last night at the Republican debate in Iowa Byron York of the Washington Examiner referenced this now-famous quote and asked Michele Bachmann if she would remain submissive to her husband were she elected president.

This was Michele Bachmann’s answer:

“Marcus and I will have been married for 33 years this September 10. I’m in love with him. I’m so proud of him. What submission means to us, if that’s what your question is, it means respect. I respect my husband. And he respects me as his wife. That’s how we operate our marriage. We respect each other. We love each other.”