I'm finally ready to post my before and afters! I had posted on the wavies board a few months back, but I figured I might as well post it here on the big thread, too.

It's been such a journey through CG -- I didn't know there could possibly be that much to learn about one head of hair! And I'm still learning and experimenting. But, I am so happy I've been working with my natural curl. I started out as a "wavy in denial," brushing my hair and blow drying it straight, wondering why it was so poofy and frizzy. Then I started working with the wave, and I never imagined I had such waves and curls and wurls hiding under my huge, poofy hair! Before CG, my hair was oily and itchy and disgusting all the time from over-stripping my hair with all those sulfates. Now that I'm completely sulfate and 'cone free, I am so much happier with my hair! It finally has a direction -- not just up or out! I started out with full-on CG, and my hair started out OK. I definitely saw results, but just CO-washing was definitely not cutting it. Once I started mod-CG, I was a lot happier. Now, every time I wash my hair I use a sort of low poo. Lately it's been Castile Soap, but soon, I'm hoping to use some gentler, more natural stuff (maybe even make my own shampoo from scratch -- thanks, IAgirl! ). I've learned a couple of really important things from CG -- mostly, though, I've learned that my hair is more moisture-loving than I will ever know. Pre-poos with oil, leave in conditioners, LOTS of heavy RO's, and Spritz and Condishes are absolute musts. It also hates protein (big shock with me having coarse hair, I know, but it took me forever to figure it out despite that!).

The first pic is my "before" hair, but after I started accepting my waves. That was actually a REALLY good hair day. Like, that was a one-in-a-million hair day, because it never looked like that. It was always a lot more poofy and undefined. The second pic was when I tried full-on CG for the first time in October, but I was still mistakenly using 'cones (whoops! ). You can see all the frizz, and it was pretty limp and lifeless, and I was still not giving my hair nearly enough moisture. The third one was when I started low pooing all the time, and my hair was finally getting a little bit better with the moisture issues and the frizz and poof (some time in May, I think). It got a lot more defined, too. The fourth was from a week or two ago, and the fifth was my 2nd day hair from this past Friday after my second ever coconut oil pre-poo (usually use EVOO), and I've been doing CG now for about 8 - 8 1/2 months.
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10!

Last edited by wavynwild16; 12-06-2011 at 06:47 PM.