View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #25
cocodej

First, as for finding breakage when I press/straighten my hair for a trim, I do not notice much. However, when hair is pressed or flat ironed, I believe the manipulation during the styling is when the breakage primarily occurs. The detangle before the blow dry, the blow drying itself (so hard to keep track of any hairs during this process especially, if your blow dry), and then the pressing or flat ironing. Moreover, if you do not do your detangle, blow dry, or press/flat iron yourself, you may miss just how much breakage occurs during manipulation. Also, hair in its curly state is more likely to stick around, latch on to something...

Second, as for low manipulation, I completely agree with the other ladies. I never detangle or style on dry hair and try to keep my henna/protein treatments to once a month. I am also not shy about protein in my weekly deep conditioners (Darcy's Botanicals Deep Conditioning Mask, Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Hairveda's Acai Berry Phyto Conditioner, Oyin Honey Hemp).

Last, I really think when, how, and the tools used during your detangling routine determine the level of breakage and overall condition of your hair (rough detangling is just as bad as horrid product, it all adds up). I pre-poo with my henna (depending on the week), shampoo, then deep condition overnight (all my DCs have protein and slip). BUT, before I put my conditioning cap on for the night - I twist then bantu knot my hair in the sections I will detangle in. I finger part and lightly finger detangle to make sure my hair is stretched before I twist then bantu knot the twist (this part is hardly perfect, just want those suckers to stay in and minimize shrinkage). I NEVER give my hair a chance to shrink, sorry - shrinkage = more tangles.

In the morning I use three tools to detangle; wide tooth rat tail comb (Diane no. 40), detangling comb (just replaced my Nexxus Style Effexx Detangler - cousin helped herself to the stash...), and a paddle brush (Denman D83)). I use the rat tail first to detangle the ends - get them all going in the same direction and catch shed hairs at the ends - only the last two inches of my hair. Then switch to the detangling comb. Finally, I use the paddle to make sure every hair is going in the same direction and all the shed hair is out. Once I got the steps down, detangling time went down significantly.

Sincerely hope this helps!
one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
[...]

cocodej is offline   Reply With Quote