View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
LaBeauteBoucle

Smile

I guess the best thing to do is go in with no expectations. I got my first perm at 9 b/c all my friends used to make fun of my so-called doo-doo braids, i.e the wrong reason. My mom begged me to reconsider but she gave in to my pleas so there was my birthday present.

After getting a bad cut (my APL hair was cut into a bob ) and dying it beyond repair I decided to go natural at 17 to grow my hair out. At the time I was still in high school and (as superficial as ppl are then) no girls could understand why I chose to be nappy even though they themselves had no edges/bad weaves/broken off ends. The more they hated the more I wanted curly hair b/c it was how it grew from my scalp, i.e the right reason.

Now I didn't necessarily love my curly hair at first but it was a part of me just like (and not to be gross or anything) getting mother nature's red tide is a part of being a woman: You don't have to like it but once you learn how to handle it it becomes a breeze and you actually learn to appreciate it for what it is.

So my advice would be to really think about if you're really mature enough to handle the responsibiilty as well as ppl's negative comments b/c it's all about a journey about getting to know yourself, not expecting Teyana Taylor curls. If you can't be comfortable with that then maybe you're just not ready. HTH!

-I like my men like I love my hair... kinky

Co-Wash: VO5 Anti-Breakage Conditioner and VO5 Strengthening Conditoner
Rinse-Out: Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Leave-in: Suave Naturals Conditioner
Moisturizer: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Cream
Styler: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel
Sealing Oil: Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil
DC: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
LaBeauteBoucle is offline   Reply With Quote