I agree with the others. It sometimes takes trial and error to find someone in a regular salon. The stylist I go to now is devachan trained and I just LOVE her and she realizes that there are no others in our area. Her goal is to train other stylists in the salon so that there are others. I have gone to MANY other "non curly" stylists and have had so so results and BAD results. My last go around before this one was good to start out with but as my hair grew out, she didn't know what to do. And in the end - she ruined it.
AnnMarie fixed my hair. She couldn't do it in one sitting tho. We had to wait for some of it to grow out.
I don't know what I'll do if AnnMarie leaves or if I move. Before AnnMarie, I too thought about going into Aveda. And I don't have the guts to walk out and say, "UH, never mind!" when they start cutting and you realize they are going to cut it as a straighty.
The one girl I went to wet it down and then pulled it up and out and started cutting away. Then to style.... she got the blow dryer out (she didn't even know what a diffuser was) and used a hair brush and comb to "style" OMG!!! It looked horrible.
When I did call Aveda, they will do consultations (I believe for free) and that way you can discuss things and see what they would do and suggest.
Darby
PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b