hippiedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilynapp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiedoll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coilynapp View Post

Nope. I don't think so.

There will always be a market for indie businesses. If you look at what the big brands are offering, it's the same thing as always, just dressed up for curly hair (e.g., black woman with an afro on bottle). There is nothing different they are doing except not using mineral oil (maybe) and not putting silicones (again, maybe).

I can bet that Darcy's, Oyin, QB and all the other afro type brands will still get business. There is something that indie businesses offer that big companies cannot.

Curly hair products from big companies have been around. We use these brands all the time, just some folks are now getting to notice.
I agree with you I didn't say Independent brands won't survive. I meant bigger business would try to put them out of business. If they make similar products mirroring the smaller brands (like what Sally's did to Mixed Chicks). and lower the price, a lot of people would opt to buy. There will always be people starting their own business and getting customers appreciating their brand. I know growing up, there weren't brands like Kinky Curly, Miss Jessie's and Curls. I do think with more independently owned products for textured tresses plays. huge role in why more women now are leaning towards transitioning or wearing their hair in it's natural state.
Big companies are always trying to oust smaller ones. That's not new. It's happening now in the indie body and hair care industry.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
I know like The Body Shop has a couple of their products selling at Sephora now because they aren't selling in their own.
  • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask

Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !!
hippiedoll is offline   Reply With Quote