I agree with previous posts. You cannot loose fat in a certain area.
If you want to actually see muscle definition,you have to loose the fat allover. Some folks actually do have abs ,but since they are not lean no one will ever see the abs they worked so hard for.

I don't think it's rocket science. There is so much information out there it can be overwhelming.

So my recommendation is:

-Drink a lot of water (2 litres), but that's a standard rule right?
Stay away from sugery drinks, except if you're going out

-Don't just start a diet, because that will backlash, instead gradually adapt healthy eating habits and make it a routine.

-I truly believe in high intensity bodyweight/cardio exercises, because I've lost weight and gained stamina after a short time. I couldn't believe it, because I was never overweight or anything so I was even more surprised that I lost weight in the process. And my stomach was so much flatter.

I talked to a doctor back in the days when I was working in a hospital about sprinters and marathon people. He said the reason the marathon runners are sometimes even skinny and have less muscle or muscle definition than the sprinter is because they do loooong cardio training. Now, the body needs energy for this, first he uses the carbs, then the fat and eventually the proteins, which comes from the muscles.

Okay, this post is getting too long.
I wouldn't write this if I hadn't seen results first hand.
Check out BODYROCK.tv | Fitness Advice, Workout Videos, Health & Fitness | Bodyrock.tv .It's free and very challenging.
When I first visited the site I didn't believe that these exercises were that hard, but they are even harder in reality, so check it out.