Hi Phoenix. What are you thoughts about a deep red lipstick on me (66 yrs. old?) I bought the cheapest dark red lipstick I could find ($2.27), just to try it and it brightened my face, but I have questions.

My lips aren't too thin and people say I don't look my age. (LadyV69, SarcasmisBeauty and Scrills have seen me in person so maybe they could voice an honest opinion) but I'm concerned about not looking too vampy at this age.

My skin is a very pale, light cream, dark hazel eyes and light brown kind of caramel hair (curly bob). I can wear peach lipstick and blush but it doesn't make my face "pop" like the dark red does. Pink looks wrong. I need something with "oomph." Beiges make me look sallow.

What do you think? I don't want to look silly or like mutton trying to pass for lamb (or whatever that expression is). Also, if I do choose to wear a dark red lipstick, what should I do with the rest of my makeup?

Thanks much for any advice!

ETA: For some reason my naked lip color is very dark - almost a plum. I'm lucky that way - people say I don't "need" lipstick, but I always wear some, often something to tone down the color, but today I tried this new dark red.

If it brightens your face and you like it, then definitely wear it. I’ve seen women your age look AMAZING in red lipstick. But I wouldn’t go too dark. Dark reds can overwhelm fair skin. A few examples:

All 3 of them are wearing heavy, opaque reds. They all could wear red but should lighten up the shade a bit and maybe consider applying the lipstick over a lip balm or gloss for a more sheer look. Dark, heavy lipsticks can make the mouth look cavernous, especially on thin lips (although you said yours aren’t thin).

With red lips, I’d suggest wearing a few good coats of black mascara on your top lashes. You could also add a thin line of black or brown liner as well. Noticeable but not overly dark eye makeup will balance out the intense color on your lips. It won’t look garish.

I’d suggest taking a picture of yourself wearing the lipstick and then taking a look. Looking at a picture of yourself versus a mirror image gives you a different perspective to form an opinion.

It’s hard to give my opinion without a picture. So feel free to repost your pic (I know I’ve seen one before).
No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kimshi4242

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kimshi4242

Last edited by Phoenix; 10-03-2011 at 04:01 AM.