sorry to answer so late.

I am unfamiliar with the suave coconut, but the coconut conditioner I have is a protein based one.

Too much protein on me causes my hair to become dry and brittle. I switched to Garnier Fructis triple nutrition for super moisturizing and occasionally do a protein conditioner to keep the curls bouncing.

Good luck!

hmm I just re-read your post and wonder if there are silicones in the styling product you're using. Coconut oil definitely makes my hair feel brittle. Colouring your hair will invariably increase the damage level already there, so yes indeed it is likely that too.

It's a long journey, learning what works for you.. but keep reading and posting, and you will figure it out! It is SO worth it. I've never loved my hair as much as I do now.. and I know I have even more I can improve on.
Originally Posted by SusieSuze
Thanks for the response. The suave coconut does have a little protein, but I have been using it for a month with no problem and I never use it as a leave-in.

The Gel doesn't appear to have any silicones (I'm no expert) and I know a lot of curlies use it, but it does have some protein. I have also used Dep Gel, and don't seem to have a problem with that. I would like to try KCKT and KCCC, but I checked both of the local Targets and couldn't find it. I guess I have to order it online. Any other hard hold gel suggestions are welcomed.

At this point, I'm thinking that is was the coconut oil, although I have no idea why. So now I don't know if it's protein related or if my hair just doesn't like coconut oil for some reason. I did a ACV rinse today for the first time and my hair is really soft and shiny and feels 5lbs. lighter. I wonder if I did have some sort of build up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a DT that is Protein-free, preferably something I don't have to order online? I want to try JCWDT, but I think I will have to order that. Not sure if I'm protein sensitive, but at this point I don't want to risk making hair more brittle.
CG since 9/2011 - 3b/Coarse/Medium thickness

Low Poo: Shea Moisture Retention, Loreal Everpure Sulfate-Free (ocassionally)
Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner
RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
LI: GVP Conditioning Balm
DT: Shea Moisture DT Hair Masque, AOHR
Gel: Dep Endurance Styling Gel, HE Set Me Up Spray Gel

http://public.fotki.com/stacyw71/
Password: embracecurls