Does anyone have any ideas or advice about perfecting the necessary gauge size in crocheting? It is messing me up big time, maybe I am just not understanding it well enough?
Originally Posted by CurlyHairedFarmer
I assume it's similar to what you would do with knitting. I knit on the looser size, so I use a smaller needle. Conversely, if you knit tightly, you would go with a larger size. If you're making clothing that is fitted, you need to do a swatch--switching the needle until you get the gauge that you need. If it's a scarf, afghan, etc., you want to be close--but it's not as important. Being consistent is what matters.
Originally Posted by kathymack
Oooh, why didn't I think of that?! I tend to go a little tight so maybe I will head to the craft store later and get a larger hook.
Originally Posted by CurlyHairedFarmer
I just did a quick search for a crochet hook set--if you're going to try to crochet a bit, it may be a nice thing to have. They are inexpensive and will allow you to "play." Boye 6279 Aluminum Crochet Hook Set
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams