I don't doubt that white people occasionally get beat up or insulted by black people for being white. And I don't want to minimize the pain that anyone that's happened to feels. But there is no systematic oppression of whites going on. That's the difference.

When I was a kid I had an incident with a group of black girls. I was not beat up but I was pushed and insulted and spat on and harrassed. I can't be sure it was because I was white, maybe it was because I was dorky or because young kids just do mean things to other kids for the hell of it, but I do know that it FELT racial to me and that it felt just awful.

But you know what, I grew up, I left the neighborhood, I went to a good college where no one assumed I was too stupid to be there and got in just because of affirmative action. I could drive around my college town without the police stopping me randomly because I must have stolen that nice car. I can take as long as I want browsing in the aisles of stores without being followed as a potential shoplifter. I can hail a cab any time I want. I can walk around pregnant without people assuming "there goes another one of those welfare queens living off the tax payers". The list goes on and on.

If you are black and you get beat up by white kids when you are younger, you can work hard and do well and become a Harvard Professor, but the cops will still arrest you for 'breaking in' to your own house. You can become the President of the United States and people will send around pictures of you as a monkey or with a bone in your nose. You can attend a good college and still get called 'nappy headed ho' by a national radio personality.
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.