View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
Farah85

Default My 2 (?) Cents

Hey KnowledgeSeeker,

I am sorry you are having such a frustrating time with your hair on your journey. We've all been there at some point and it's definitely most frustrating when you're spending lots of $$ and time figuring stuff out and they don't seem to work.

If I can give you one piece of advice, it's to go to Live Curly Live Free - Home and learn thoroughly about your hair properties. I actually bought the e-book which is basically all of the information on the website plus a couple extras (I really like the section called "putting it all together" because it helps you relate your specific hair properties to what you should be doing). Some people might argue that the book might not be worth the 9USD or so Tiffany charges for it but considering her generosity with scientific information and her valiant fight against using visual curl classification systems as the basis of hair care routines it was my pleasure to buy the e-book.

HOW YOUR HAIR LOOKS should have nothing to do with your choices of what to put on it. Sure, most curly-haired people have hair that is more dry than people with straight hair because oils from the scalp can't travel down the hairshaft easily, but once you get past THAT, it is your hair PROPERTIES that should form the foundation of the decisions you make about what to put in your hair (along with the weather).

Let me say that again: it is your hair's porosity, texture, elasticity, density and the dew point on any given day that will be most helpful to you in determining the products to use on any given day. Your visual classification might influence your styling technique a bit but not your product ingredients. This is key. Key to saving a lot of time, $$ and frustration.

Let's look at an example: two ladies have 4c hair, but one of them has hair that is very coarse and porous, and the other has hair that is very fine and porous. They both decide to cram their hair full of rich conditioners with oils and butters. Lady 1 will have very good looking hair as a result of all the emollients she's using, and lady 2 will have a mess. You can't look to visual hair identification systems for information on how to care for your hair. Even if curlmart sells hair product bundles for VISUAL hair type, that shouldn't indicate to you that it is an effective system.

Understand your hair properties and dew points how they should affect your choices of products and product INGREDIENTS and you will be a much more educated consumer and you will have much more control over your hair. We will never get it to act predictably all the time, but in this industry where there is SO MUCH MISINFORMATION, going back to science and basics is key. The great thing about Tiffany's book is that she helps you relate it to practical day-to-day hair care.

Also, if you get stuck on your hair properties, you can send a strand to livecurlylivefree for analysis. I haven't done that and still wonder whether my diagnosis of my hair's properties is correct but at least I understand that it sits somewhere between fine and medium and somewhere between normal to high porosity and that has REALLY helped me with my product ingredient selection. But it is also important to know that your hair's porosity might change depending on what you are subjecting it to, since heat and chemical processing and subjection to other elements can cause hair to become more porous.

Good luck on your journey. Science is your friend.
Experimenting with making my own products. Hair loves protein.
Farah85 is offline   Reply With Quote