View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Ronnieaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post
Farah85,

Thank you for all of the great information! I actually did check that site out last night. Another curly told me about it. I may have to purchase the book. I really enjoyed reading the information on the site. I love learning. lol (hence the name). Anywho, this is what I've been thinking. I learned about the Ph of hair about 3 weeks ago.

I viewed some videos by Kimmaytube on youtube. She has this leave-in recipe that she made that is exactly 4.5 on the Ph scale. My question to you, sence you've read the ebook already, is can I be certain that this mixture will work for me? Ture, it's 4.5 Ph which is the same as hair, BUT, given that my hair properties (porosity, texture, elasticity and density) are very important, should I figure out what will work for my hair (oil, cream, butter, etc) given the different properties it has and create my own leave-in mixture that has a Ph of 4.5? I know that was a long run on sentence. lol sorry.

Your thoughts?

KnowledgeSeeker
There's no harm in trying the kimmaytube leave-in first and seeing how your hair responds. Many people have excellent success with it regardless of porosity. If you don't normally mix your products, then I'd start here and see how your hair responds, and make adjustments from there.

The one thing that I learned early in this journey was that I had to listen to MY hair only, and not get overwhelmed by what people say I should do. I have normal/coarse hair, NOT fine, normal porosity, no chemicals of any sort on my hair. Many naturals in that position hate protein. My hair is a protein-fiend; it is my hair's BFF, and I have setbacks whenever I stop using it. If you find your hair getting mushy, like overcooked spaghetti, then you need to incorporate more protein (it just doesn't necessarily need to be in a leave-in format). If your hair gets hard, breaks easily etc., then maybe you're using too much or the wrong kind for your hair.

The one thing I'd noticed in one of your responses was how you wear your hair. Your ends are constantly exposed, and that may be hindering your progress. Have you considered bunning or just wearing twists without the -out? Your hair probably needs the least amount of manipulation possible, to be left alone and not bothered to see optimum results. You may also want to consider baggying or GHE to increase moisture. There are multiple threads in the 4a forum about it. I can't give you specifics because my hair doesn't like them, but they work wonders for other heads of hair, and are worth taking a look at.
Ronnieaj is offline   Reply With Quote