In general I think curly girls (and guys) are generally "do it your selfers" so we go through the trial and error to find out which products work the best for our hair along with the various styling techniques that we feel brings out our best curls, not to mention each technique may have different styling products attached to it.

When you go to a salon, most, maybe not all, generally have a particular product line or two that they use and that's it. If your salon happens to use the products that you use when you do your own hair then you've hit the jackpot!! You've hit a double jackpot if you can find a stylist who uses the same products and applies it as you would, meaning, I don't know about you but I make sure all my strands are coated and I can tell when I've not done a thorough job.

Then there's the issue of styling techniques. Some salons have a few options but the costs can vary. My stylist does a coilout on my hair which is fine cause I don't have the patience to do this on my own hair but she doesn't use a single product that I use to do my own hair with. For me the biggest issue there is IMO my hair is significantly drier when my stylist does it than when I do it. So I usually do a little "extra" to it as soon as I get home to moisturize my coils.

Anywho, I got off track, some salons offer wash-n-go/shingling styling and some will do twists and other styling services so if your preferred styling method isn't offered or is at a premium $ that you don't feel like paying then you have to decide what to settle for.

I love my salon and my stylist; she got me through a long-term transition and I trust her fully. However, if I were to entertain going to a new salon, if I didn't have a personal reference, I would pick up the phone and call prospective salons and ask about products they use, what types of styling they do as well as the techniques they use for detangling, cleansing and conditioning natural/curly hair. I read a horror story on a thread where a stylist or maybe the infamous "shampoo girl" DRY COMBED someone's hair!! I would have left that salon WITH THE QUICKNESS! I can do my own damage, nevermind paying someone to do it for me.

In closing, don't be afraid to ask questions and most of all don't ever be afraid to get the hell up out of a stylists chair at any time you feel uncomfortable with what is being done to your hair. Its your hair, your money and your time, all of which is valuable to YOU.
  • Oils: EVOO,Watermelon Seed,Argan, Coconut
  • Cleanse: CD Monoi Repairing Shampoo, Soultanicals Honey I Shrunk the Frizz Poo Bar
  • Detangle/RO: Soultanicals Mango Dip Detangling Slip
  • LI: DB Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Hair Whip
  • DC: Crece Pelo,MJ Super Sweetback
  • PT: CJ Repair Me,Smooth Naturals Strengthen
  • Style: CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel, CRN Almond Jai Twist Butter, WetLine Xtreme Gel,Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • Moisturize: DN Whipped Amla Frosting,CoN Argan Oil Perfect 7