*cough* I was adamant
that my hair couldn't/didn't/wouldn't curl because I detangled my hair everytime I wet/washed it and then kept it stretched, both things which destroy my natural curl pattern.
I looked at my naked wet hair for the first time quite 'late' (some months after the chop) and realised I had curls. I attributed it to amla when I first did it, but really, my hair has probably always been very tightly curled, I was just hyped up on that 4c, zero curl pattern flex. Lol! Tbh, it was only recently after I read a thread about detangling destroying someone's curls on here and did a proper
wash and go where I actually washed or rinsed, conditioned, shook like a dog and 'went'. Before it had been wash, t-shirt dry, detangle, condition, pick out fro and go, which = zero curls.
Within the first 2 to 3 months of being 100% natural, I had had a blow out, mutliple henna/Ayurvedic treatments, yarn braids, here and there trims/dusting, many different products/brands testing... My curls probably settled wayyy before I did, but I didn't realise. I'm still yet to try any product to define curls or clump, and have used a finger of QB's gel on a small piece of hair, then promptly put a hat on it because I had to go out, so I haven't used any gels.
As for uniformity - HAH! My curls are NOT uniform, even now.
- The temples/sides are the coarsest, most tightly curled, driest, shortest, least porous and often most difficult to deal with because when I sleep, it is the sides of my head/hair that get squashed.
- The front/top is the most visibly curly because the coils are larger, it's finer than the sides and probably more porous, it's either longer, or just seems longer because it's a looser pattern. Usually henna/hibiscus shows up the most here.
- The crown is some weirdness that I still haven't figured out, semi-coarse, kinky but straight, frizzy, rough feeling, as long as the front, but shrinks twice as much. I guess, reading what I've just written, it's just more porous than the front. Interestingly, I always miss this part of my head when applying product, including henna, so maybe it's just neglected!
- The nape/back is also loose and kinky straight, but finer again, smooth, longish and doesn't shrink, tangles the most, mainly because it rubs on collars, scarves, etc.
- All of it is dense, swallows up parting and destroys clips and combs.
- I love it.
And that's the story of my hair!