i posted this on another thread here but it is exactly what you're asking here...

i started my traditional locs with two strand twists. i didn't section and part. i went a little smaller realizing that locs plump up. honestly i don't remember what product i used way back then. i know i didn't use beeswax. i do know at the end i was using aloe vera gel and that worked great. my hair loves to be loc'd though so i didn't need products to speed it up.

now that im in sisterlocks i like the idea of interlocking even with traditional locs but i think it would have been hard for me to start that on my own and maintain on my own. it can be done. there are tons of youtube videos but i think it takes a little more experience than palm rolling/twisting. also you could interlock for maintenance but you would have to get the hair that is loose into a loc formation through two strand twists, braids or perhaps a coil to start. in sisterlocks there is a crochet pattern done with the loose hair, i guess you could do that with loose hair but again it would be challenging to do on your own.

also i retwisted about every 5 weeks. i could have done 4, 6 might have been a little too long. that seems to be my same schedule for sisterlocks so just keep in mind you don't want to overtwist. you want to have a strong root/foundation.

what do you mean by latching with your fingers?
Originally Posted by NaturallyCJ
it is possible to take the loc and send it through the interlocking pattern without using a tool. check youtube for videos. you basically put your hair through the loose base from, 9 to 3, 6 to 12, 3 to 9 and finish with 12 to 6. think of the numbers as the times on a clock. you can also think north, south, east, west. tons of blogs and youtubes do a far better job at explaining than me. check out kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.com
a dreamy pisces
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Last edited by luvmylocs; 01-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.