View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
luvmylocs

i posted this on another thread here but it is exactly what you're asking here...

i started my traditional locs with two strand twists. i didn't section and part. i went a little smaller realizing that locs plump up. honestly i don't remember what product i used way back then. i know i didn't use beeswax. i do know at the end i was using aloe vera gel and that worked great. my hair loves to be loc'd though so i didn't need products to speed it up.

now that im in sisterlocks i like the idea of interlocking even with traditional locs but i think it would have been hard for me to start that on my own and maintain on my own. it can be done. there are tons of youtube videos but i think it takes a little more experience than palm rolling/twisting. also you could interlock for maintenance but you would have to get the hair that is loose into a loc formation through two strand twists, braids or perhaps a coil to start. in sisterlocks there is a crochet pattern done with the loose hair, i guess you could do that with loose hair but again it would be challenging to do on your own.

also i retwisted about every 5 weeks. i could have done 4, 6 might have been a little too long. that seems to be my same schedule for sisterlocks so just keep in mind you don't want to overtwist. you want to have a strong root/foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyCJ View Post
what do you mean by latching with your fingers?
it is possible to take the loc and send it through the interlocking pattern without using a tool. check youtube for videos. you basically put your hair through the loose base from, 9 to 3, 6 to 12, 3 to 9 and finish with 12 to 6. think of the numbers as the times on a clock. you can also think north, south, east, west. tons of blogs and youtubes do a far better job at explaining than me. check out kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.com
i'm more relaxed being natural

Last edited by luvmylocs; 01-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.
luvmylocs is offline   Reply With Quote