I agree, the skip curl looks really nice - neater but not permed (if that makes sense), shinier, really pretty.

I have a similar "problem" with my hair, ever since I started using FSG. I love FSG, it's my new HG but it is super time consuming because I have alot of hair. And if you use FSG you know you have to really saturate the hair to get it work well. It takes me literally longer after the shower to "do" my products than it does to actually shower! Its a PITA. I hate it, plus the FSG is cold from the fridge so if/when it runs down my back, it feels nasty. Then the hard hold gel over it, then super soaker on top of that, then plopping, etc. Then cleaning up the mess I just made in the bathroom... time consuming. But my hair looks fabulous - if I take the time to diffuse it (another 45 minutes at least). It looks alot like your skip curls, actually
Is it worth it? When a random stranger asks me if my hair is naturally curly and then tells me how pretty it is, yeah, it's totally worth it (that happened yesterday and it made my day). When I have to get ready 2 hours earlier than the time I need to leave the house, well, it doesn't feel as worth it. But whenever I use a less high-maintenance product (and one I can air-dry with and used to like the results before FSG) I am not as pleased any more.

God forbid I started skip curling and using FSG! LOL I'd never get out of the bathroom.

I guess it goes back to how much time you want to spend, and how pleased you are with the look. I get what you mean about the volume - I have the same problem now too, but I always attributed that to no cones (less buildup, maybe?) and no sulfates. My hair isn't frizzed to the max anymore.
I do know my hair is super soft, shiny, and pretty much frizz free now, and I love that. If you love how your hair looks, with either method, then both are right for you
That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB