Protein/moisture balance is probably the most difficult part to figure out. Typically, fine hair and high porosity hair like protein. If your hair is fine and highly porous, then protein is a sure bet. It gets a little trickier if you have high porosity but your hair texture is more on the normal to coarse side. In that case, I would still suggest experimenting with protein, but make sure that you follow with lots of moisture. I always do a DT (deep conditioner treatment) immediately following any PT (protein treatment) and my hair seems to love it. Then there are some people who can do PTs but can't use products with protein and vice-versa.

I would probably do a sulfate wash to reset everything. I use lighter conditioners as co-washes and heavier conditioners as ROs. I haven't tried the VO5 or the Burt's Bees, but GFTN is one of my favorites. I use it as a RO when my hair needs lots of moisture. There's definitely nothing wrong with continuing to use the L'Oreal (I've been testing it out, myself), just know that it's not strong enough to remove silicones (neither are the conditioners you mentioned; you would really need a low-poo for that). A lot of CG comes down to trial and error and figuring out what makes your hair happy. There is no right or wrong answer.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel